Friday, May 24, 2013

One Thousand Gifts & Instagram

I recently finished a book titled One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp (given to me by my dear friend Nicole - thanks Nic!).

Photo from onethousandgifts.com


In short, Ann details her journey toward discovering God in the every day.  She started finding him after giving thanks.  She would notice something little....a beautiful bubble in her kitchen sink....a full moon on a Fall night...the sweet laugh of her youngest daughter...she would notice the little things and then give thanks to God for it.  And almost immediately she would feel more connected to God...sort of like by accepting His gifts, she was more present and able to both love and trust Him more fully.  Her words are MUCH better than mine.  But she basically writes that giving thanks always preceeds the miracle.  "The miracle" can be different but it always involves drawing nearer to God.

She began keeping a list of all the "gifts" God gave her each day.  She kept a journal with her at all times and jotted them down.  Ann has a gift with words, so it made sense for her to do this.  Well, while reading the book, I decided to give it a try.  I placed a notepad on my kitchen island and began writing down all the little gifts God gave me.  There were several the first day....a few less the next day....and even fewer over the following weeks.  It wasn't that God was giving me fewer gifts, I just wasn't taking the time to write them down.  Go figure.  Life is busy.

But it dawned on me today that I DO document God's gifts!  I just do it in a different way.  I do it through pictures.  I must snap at least 10 pictures every day on my iPhone.  And it's almost always the little things.  A pretty flower, a cute smile, a date night, a family picnic, etc.  Taking pictures is my way of noticing and giving thanks to God for His gifts!

All of this is to say that I added an Instagram feed to my blog :-).  Instagram is where I post most of my iPhone pics.  If you want to follow me on Instagram....just search @shellyzitz and you'll find me!

And if you're already on Instagram, let me know your username and I'll follow you back...we can enjoy God's gifts together!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...